Odds are that you have been told that you should take vitamins at some point in your life. Whether it was your parents telling you to when you were a child, or your doctor telling you when you started getting older – more than half of Americans take vitamin supplements and that percentage only increases with age. And people take vitamins for good reason! No one likes getting sick and people want to take care of their bodies and protect their health. If this sounds appealing to you, then it’s time to take vitamins! So here is why you should take vitamins:
Image source: ayacare-esthe
What Are Vitamins?
Before we really get into vitamins, what are vitamins really? Well, vitamins are organic compounds that are needed to sustain life. There are many different types of vitamins, with different roles, and different requirements when it comes to how much we need. While the human body can produce enough of some types of vitamins, we need to obtain other types of vitamins from other sources – like food or supplements.
Different Types of Vitamin Supplements
There are so many different types of vitamin supplements out there – which ones are the best? Not all supplements are created equal but multivitamin supplements are popular because they can include several different vitamins that your body needs. Here are some different vitamins that you might want to look for in a multivitamin supplement:
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is extremely important for bone health because it helps the body absorb calcium. In an ideal world, you would be able to get enough Vitamin D on your own from the sun but that just isn’t possible for some people. Especially in the winter, this can be challenging for people so a supplement with this vitamin can be really beneficial.
- Calcium: Like Vitamin D, calcium is also important for bone and teeth health and strength. Over 40% of the US population doesn’t get enough calcium from their diet alone so a supplement is definitely recommended to get the recommended 1,000 mg.
- Zinc: Unlike other vitamins, it’s difficult to get zinc from food sources so that’s why it’s recommended to take a zinc supplement. Zinc helps support the immune system and helps the body produce energy from food sources.
- Iron: Iron promotes healthy red blood cells, improved brain function, and more energy but some people don’t get enough iron from their diet alone. Iron is especially important in times of growth and development like puberty and pregnancy. The amount of iron needed varies but it’s good to look for a supplement that has around 18 mg.
Who Should Take Vitamins?
If you are young and healthy, you might think that you don’t need to take vitamins. And while it’s true that everyone can benefit from taking vitamin supplements to make sure that you get everything you need, there are certain people who can really benefit from taking vitamins:
- Pregnant women
- The elderly
- People with immunodeficiencies
If you fall into any of those groups, there are specific things that you should look for in a multivitamin. Make sure to do your research beforehand to make sure that you are taking the best thing for your body!
Benefits of Taking Vitamins
While there are a lot of benefits of taking vitamin supplements, let’s go over a few of them:
- Promotes a stronger immune system: Specifically, Vitamins C, E, and B6 can all help to boost your immune system. Taking a supplement with these vitamins along with other healthy practices can definitely protect you from getting sick come flu season.
- Increase energy levels: Different B vitamins can actually make you feel more energized and rested after a night of sleep.
- Protect your bones and teeth: Calcium and Vitamin D can help make sure that your bones and teeth stay strong and healthy to avoid breaks and other costly and painful problems.
By Krisna Garcia (an aspiring writer from California, looking to grow her portfolio and build her specialization and expertise on beauty, lifestyle and health)
Follow her on twitter @Krisna Garcia